Sunday, November 9, 2008

Balance disorder update...

Notice I am not calling it vertigo. This is because rarely are my symptoms an actual spinning vertigo. It is more like a state of constant imbalance that sometimes is better and sometimes worse. So, You all are probably going to laugh but I was googling mal de debarquement because it is one of the diagnoses my ENT is considering. I found this MdDS support group on yahoo chat forums. I am telling you these people are so amazing. Most of them have had this syndrome for months to years and have done a lot of research. I basically told my story and by the next day had five responses. I am not sure if I have MdDs because my problem seems to be more when I am in motion not when I am still. However, this group of people are fairly well educated about different type of vestibular disorders(affects balance). One of them referred me to this Dr. Hain's website. He is a MD in Chicago that does a lot of work with balance and hearing disorders> So now there is a fourth diagnosis I want to talk to my ENT about called a perilymph fistula. Basically, it's a hole between your middle ear and inner ear and can be caused by barotrauma and has been found to occur in people on the descent of a flight. Sometimes the hole closes on its own but it accounts for most of my symptoms and if it doesn't close sometimes they can patch it in surgery or tubes help to equalize the pressure. I am sure this is what you all wanted to read today but I am so excited to have found some possible answers. Sorry if it is pretty technical but I really didn't know how to explain it better. Berny says I use medical terms too much and makes fun of me but oh well. That's who I am.

2 comments:

Me said...

I was talking to my mom about ya, We feel for YOU!! Hang in there! I can't imagine how YUCKY you feel all the time!
My mom's has been on off for two & 1/2 Years the "dizzy" spells last for months! I'll have to get more info!
Call me ANYTIME To catch up!
331-8900! We need to get together one of these days! We may move out of Lehi within the next year! ???? we may end up closer to you who knows!

John and Erin said...

I'm glad you're a getting a few leads. Keep up the good spirits cousin. Sure love you and hope you start feeling better.